Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Turkey Broccoli Alfredo Bake

Last night was one of those nights that I didn't really feel like cooking, but I was really hungry and didn't want to settle for something packaged. I had a ton of leftover turkey in the fridge from Sunday and figured I'd better put it to good use. I found a recipe for Chicken Alfredo and Rice Casserole, but I had only a few of the ingredients. So I used what I had and the result was delicious! Here's what I used.
1 cup rice, cooked (2 1/2 - 3 cups cooked rice)
10 oz Alfredo pasta sauce (I used Bertolli)
1/2 cup milk
2 cups cooked, cubed turkey
1 cup frozen broccoli
1 carrot, grated
1-2 slices of bread, crumbled
1/3 cup Italian bread crumbs
1 Tbs butter, melted
Preheat oven the 350 degrees. In a large bowl, combine rice, Alfredo sauce, milk, turkey, broccoli, and carrot. Transfer to 2 qt baking dish. Cover and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and stir. Combine bread crumbs and butter; sprinkle on top. Bake, uncovered, 20 to 25 minutes longer until heated through and crumbs are golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Serve with crispy Grissini breadsticks.
Maybe the two kind of bread crumbs sounds dumb, but I really liked it. It was like the larger bread crumbs got breaded in the smaller bread crumbs. (Like I said, I used what I had.)
The great thing about this recipe is that, really, you could probably substitute just about anything you did want for anything that you didn't want.

1 comment:

Bob said...

Two kinds of bread crumbs sounds great to me. Can't go wrong with different textures and such. That looks good, I love a simple dish. :)