Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Honey Glazed Carrots

I made a beef roast for dinner tonight. I had plans to make it a pot roast, but I had no onion and, well, I liked the thought of just throwing the roast in the oven with the only prep being sprinkling it with salt and pepper...nothing special, I know. I also served some boring mashed potatoes and gravy. These carrots went a long way in dressing up our dinner.

This recipe is adapted from Everyday Food magazine

1 lb baby carrots, cut in half crosswise
1/2 Tbs vegetable oil
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup honey
1 Tbs white wine vinegar
sea salt and fresh ground pepper
1 Tbs butter

In an 8-in skillet heat oil over medium high heat. Add carrots and cook until carrots begin to brown, about 2 minutes. Add the chicken broth, honey and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. cover and reduce to a simmer. Simmer until carrots are crisp-tender, about 10 minutes. Remove cover and cook 7-9 minutes more until sauce is syrupy (there will be very little liquid.) Remove from heat and swirl in butter.

1 comment:

Bob said...

Honey roasted carrots are the bomb! Oh and mashed potatoes and gravy are anything but boring, IMO. ;)